Bloor West Willage
Overview of Bloor West Willage
Bloor West Village is a popular neighbourhood for families. It has many excellent schools and is within walking distance of High Park – Toronto’s biggest and best known park. This west end neighbourhood is highlighted by the Bloor West Village retail district which attracts shoppers from all over the city.
History of Bloor West Willage
In the 1850’s, the area now known as Bloor West Village was the property of Lieutenant Colonel William Smith Durie, the first commanding officer of the Queens Own Rifles. The street that ran through his estate is now known as Durie Street.
The present day neighbourhood began to be developed in 1909 when this district became part of the City of Toronto. Soon after amalgamation with Toronto, Bloor West’s roads were paved and city services were made available. Bloor West’s first residents were immigrants of Eastern European background. These are the residents who helped found the Bloor West Village Business Improvement Area, the first of its kind in Canada. This shopping district has helped make Bloor West Village one of Toronto’s most popular neighbourhoods.
Homes in Bloor West Willage
Bloor West Village homes are all fairly similar in size and style having been built in a relatively short period of time between 1912 and 1923. Bloor West Village houses feature deep front porches that are well shaded by the majestic Oak and Maple trees that line the streets of this neighbourhood. The majority of houses feature decorative oak accents, hardwood floors, and fireplaces.