Overview of Lytton Park
Lytton Park is one of Toronto’s most exclusive neighbourhoods. It is home to doctors, lawyers, stockbrokers and corporate executives who value Lytton Park’s quiet charm, and its convenient access to transportation corridors leading in and out of the city. Lytton Park’s other assets include beautiful homes on large lots, outstanding recreational facilities, and a close proximity to excellent public and private schools.
History of Lytton Park
Lytton Park owes its development to the Metropolitan Street Railway, whose single horse car line began service to this area in 1886. Prior to the advent of the railway, Lytton Park was a rural outpost with limited access to the City of Toronto. The Metropolitan Company recognized the impact on land values that their railway service would bring to this district. Thus in 1888, the Railway purchased the two hundred acre Beatty farm, near their station at Yonge and Glengrove. In 1888, the former Beatty farm became the “Glen Grove Park’ subdivision and the residential development of Lytton Park was underway. Lytton Park’s major period of growth began in 1912, when it became part of the City of Toronto. It was during the next fifteen years that most of Lytton Park’s houses, schools, churches and parks were built.
Homes in Lytton Park
Lytton Park’s Tudor and Georgian style houses were built primarily between 1890 and 1930. All of the houses are detached, and are situated on large lots with lush gardens. The interior of a typical Lytton Park house includes traditional accents such as hardwood floors, leaded glass windows, and a wood burning fireplace.
Schools in Lytton Park
- (P) John Ross Robertson Jr, 130 Glencairn Avenue West, (416) 393-9400
- (P) Glenview Sr, 401 Rosewell Ave, (416) 393-9350
- (PH) Lawrence Park Collegiate Institute, 125 Chatsworth Dr, (416) 393-9500
- (PR) Havergal College, 1451 Avenue Rd, (416) 483-3519